Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Integrating Problem-Solving and Educational Software - Chapter 11



There are many benefits to using problem-solving or educational software.  With my daughter being in high school, her school does not have enough books to distribute to all the students, therefore, they must use notes given by the teachers and internet to help in their learning process.  One of my favorite websites is www.purplemath.com.  This website gives step by step instructions to solve problems.  This site reminds me of the way I learned to do math and which made me really want to work with numbers.  I have been able to find assistance with everything from elementary mathematics to calculus.  I have also been able to find some assistance with College Algebra when the professor would only show us how to solve the problems using a calculator and no other way.

Selecting the correct software can be difficult.  I know when I am using software with my students; it depends on their level of understanding.  Purple Math has become one of my favorites because it gives step by step instructions on solving problems.  There are other websites I have used and recommended to students depending on their level of understanding of what they are currently studying.  If the students have an idea of the concept, there are other sites which might be more helpful to the students without having them go back to the elementary level for learning the concepts.  A teacher should have a list of sites in order to be able to give it to the students when they request additional information and are unable to understand the explanation being provided.

When integrating problem-solving or educational software into a lesson, I would use the software as a means of enhancing on the concept.  It would not be where technology took over the lesson and the students were expected to know the information.  The lesson would be taught to the students and technology would help students to better understand what has been taught.  Hopefully, it will answer the questions students are embarrassed, or afraid, to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment