Sunday, February 23, 2014

Think Sheets: Using Technology for Higher-Order Learning



Many times I have an issue with anticipating the possible questions students may ask unless I happen to create a project of my own.  Once I create my project, it will give me a chance to think of possible questions by the students, and I will be able to encourage questions from the students.  Many times, the students are embarrassed to ask questions because they down want to feel like they are stupid.  By letting the students know it is okay to ask questions, it makes the students open up.
In order to help students solve problems, I would give them a basic step process in order to help them solve problems.  Some people do not realize how to solve problems because they have never really had to do it on their own.  So, it is easier to teach if they are given a step by step procedure and walked through a couple of examples.  After giving a step by step procedure to the students, I would also introduce different forms the students may use to possibly help them with problems.  I know while I was growing up, one of the things that helped me was learning to do ‘Logic Puzzles’.  Not only did this help me solve the puzzle, but it helped me to think logically and put things in order.
I have always used an inquiry-based approach, but I have never used technology in the process.  Because I have always encouraged the students to participate by asking questions, my problem would be to think of ways to insert technology to help the students understand the lessons being taught without the technology taking over the lessons being taught.  The use of technology could give an animated or real life example of the problem or situation to be solved.  Some people are more visual than others, and this is another means of learning for many students.  They will be able to hear what you are teaching them, but it will also give them the opportunity to see what is happening as you are teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment